Author: Paige Weber, Year: September 30, 2005, Publisher: Facts on File
Format: PDF, Pages: 64, language: English, ISBN: 9780816059478, Size: 3 MB
History of Fashion and Costume in eight volumes, Volume 4 , who study the development of costume and fashion over time,from the earliest cavemen to the present.
Author: Kathy Elgin, Year: September 30, 2005, Publisher: Facts on File
Part 4 of 4 | 573 JPG Images | <4672x2694 Pixels | 417 MB
Part 3 of 4 | 590 JPG Images | <3072x2304 Pixels | Categorized | 440 MB
Part 2 of 4 | 402 RGB JPG Images with brief text files| <3264x2448 Pixels | 170 MB
Part 1 of 4 | 628 RGB JPEG Images | <3072x2304 | 220 MB
Vintage ThanksGiving Day Postcards Collection
193 HQ JPG Scans | Up to 1600x1200 Pixels | 225 MB
- In the fourth Thursday of November in the United States celebrate Thanksgiving Day (Thanksgiving Day). This is one of the most popular festivals in the country. Thanksgiving Day was first celebrated in 1621 by English colonists who lived in Plymouth Colony. Previous winter was very severe and hungry winter new colonists also promised little good. Then Governor William Bradford decided to raise the spirits of his subordinates and organized the first Thanksgiving. Holiday together noted British colonists and their neighbors, the Indians, with the help of which the Plymouth Colony survive the first winter of starvation. The Puritans brought to this festival a deep religious meaning - they saw it as a way to thank God for mercy. Thanksgiving Day became a national holiday after the relevant decree of the first President George Washington in 1789. Happy Thanksgiving associated with a number of traditions that Americans hold sacred and honored. All family members must go to church and after the service to meet the holiday table. On the eve of Thanksgiving Day blooms charity: Americans are trying to feed and somehow please their neighbors who have been unlucky in life. Even the subway stations are installed special table on which everyone can put their donations, including food. The newspaper published the announcement about this: "If you donate $ 1.90 - You will be able to give a hot meal to the homeless or poor countryman. If you donate $ 19, you will help to feed 10 people ... "etc. On the eve of the holiday charities distribute to needy collected gifts, and for the homeless organize dinners. The second most important attribute of Thanksgiving - turkey. At the first festival of the colonists and the Indians roasted and ate together four turkeys, shot down in a nearby forest. Since then, turkey and Thanksgiving Day became synonymous, especially poultry farmers fatten turkeys this holiday. The third attribute of the holiday - parades (mostly costumed in the garb of a 17th-century costumes Indians) and fun.
L'art Arabe: The Art of Arabic after the Monuments of Cairo, 17th Century
d'apres les monuments du Kaire depuis le VIIe siecle jusqu'a la fin du XVIIIe par Prisse d'Avennes
212 UHQ JPG Scans | 2600x3600 Pixels | 374 MB
Author: Prisse d'Avennes | Title: L'art arabe d'apres les monuments du Kaire depuis le VIIe siecle jusqu'a la fin du XVIIIe
Publisher: Paris: Ve A. Morel et Cie. | Year: 1877 | In French
- "L'art Arabe", a rare collection of breathtaking set of plates (wood engraving, heliogravures and color lithographs) of the famous Islamic-Arab designs and ornaments published by the French art historian Prisse d'Avennes sometime during 1869 after buying them from the sixty or so French artists who accompanied Napoleon Bonaparte on his compaign against Egypt in 1798. Those selective group of artists were assigned by the Emperor to illustrate the art treasures of rare architectural ornament (tiles, wood carvings, paintings on walls and ceilings, woven hangings), carpets, paper appliques and illuminated books.
- Classical archaeology—the excavation and analysis of ancient Greek and Roman sites—was born on Wednesday, October 22, 1738. On that day, Roque Joaquín Alcubierre, an engineer in the army of the Bourbon royal family in Naples, was lowered by ropes down a square well shaft cut through volcanic material that had formed on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius. When Alcubierre reached the bottom of the well, 65 feet below the surface, he began to wind his way through tunnels carved into the volcanic material, noting pieces of architectural elements as he went. This discovery became the first systematic study of the astonishingly intact ruins of the Roman city of Herculaneum, buried for 1,700 years in the volcanic eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Alcubierre's recording of the artworks, colored marbles, inscriptions, lamps, and items of everyday life he discovered deep inside the earth marked the "Big Bang" of Classical archaeology—a quest to understand Greek and Roman culture through its material remains that continues to this day.
Detroit Publishing Company - Touring Turn of The Century America 1880-1920
- This collection of photographs from the Detroit Publishing Company Collection includes over 873 glass negatives and transparencies & color photolithograph prints, mostly of the eastern United States. The collection includes the work of a number of photographers, one of whom was the well known photographer William Henry Jackson.
765 HQ JPG Images | 2414x3000 | 211 MB
- Gil Elvgren (March 15, 1914 – February 29, 1980), born Gillette Elvgren, was an American painter of pin-up girls, advertising and illustration. Elvgren was one of the most important pin-up and glamour artists of the twentieth century. Today he is best known for his pin-up paintings for Brown & Bigelow. Elvgren studied at the American Academy of Art.